Friday, June 19, 2009

BOOT CAMP: DAY FIVE

I was nervous about boot camp this morning because I felt like yesterday's time off would see me losing any ground I might have gained in the first three days of class.

It turned out to be okay.

On day five our boot camp toy du jour was a 10 pound pole. At least I think it was 10 pounds. It was heavy. It was about 4 feet long. We got to hoist that onto our shoulders and jog with it to a lovely hidden glen by the lake where we did squats with the pole. Lots and lots of squats of so many different kinds.

Happily, I have quads like King Kong and so the squats weren't a killer for me. I started feeling the burn at the end, though. Note to self, try to sit down further into the squats.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason the instructors decided we had to run right in the middle of a set. Not in between sets, but right in the middle.

There we were, counting down from 20 and when we got to 12 one of the instructors yells, "DROP YOUR BARS AND RUN!".

We dropped the bars and ran. I don't know why. It was very random and done with zero explanation.

And get this, later, some girl who was across from me in the circle, which means she was as far away from me as she could be said something verboten. There I was doing my squats and counting out loud like a good camper when all of a sudden one of the instructors says something like, "I HEARD AN 'I can't' EVERYONE DROP AND GIVE ME 20!"

So that girl might have said something like, "I can't do this."

Boot Camp rule: NO WHINING!

The 20 push ups didn't bother me too much, so no biggie, but if I'd had to do an extra run with that bar on my shoulders because of her, that would have been a different story altogether. I'd have raked her over the coals....in my mind.

Long story short, I went to bed last night with much trepidation in my heart. I woke up at 4:55 with a dull sense of dread, but by the time we were finished with the bars and had gathered to do our core exercises, something we do at the end of each class, I felt pretty good. Boot camp wasn't very brutal today.

Now we have a boot-camp-free weekend ahead of us and while it's a wonderful thought, it also makes me nervous. Like I said earlier, I don't want to lose any ground, so I may show up at one of the Saturday morning classes that are held for any campers who want to come. That should be at around 10:00am, though, so no early call on Saturday. YAY

1 comment:

Bits-n-Pieces said...

I love the committment you have!!
I was thinking as I was driving home...about how I need to do something and I'm just so ANTI-dvd right now. you know, all those wonderful Walk Away the Pounds dvds I have and swore by a couple years ago. They do work when I stick with them, but I'm just tired of them. So.....I stopped by the school and drove around the walking track area (which is actually our car line) and realized that 3 times around is a mile...so I'm gonna do 6 laps tomorrow morning, when Maggie gets me up early. I've got to do something, and it's a start.
Right?
You are my inspiration!
xoxoxo