Monday, June 22, 2009

BOOT CAMP: DAY EIGHT (5th day of actual work outs)

No days off this week for us weary campers, so I’ve decided to strap in and get psyched for the ride.

And…..the ride got off to a tough start this morning.

Andres and I rode our 11 miles around the lake both on Saturday and Sunday, so I wasn’t a bump on a log this weekend. I also did pretty well with my eating. My splurge meal happened Friday night when Andres and I decided to hit Tokyo House for Sushi on a whim. It was a very nice evening. …but I digress. We were talking about Boot Camp.

I woke up at 4:55 this morning from anxiety dreams about getting ready for boot camp. In the dream I was panicking and racing around trying to find my gear. I was terrified of being late. They told us that if we were late entire class would pay for it, but I noticed today that the late arrivals and those who over-indulged through the weekend were taken off by themselves after class for “encouragement’. That means extra work. That’s a good sign, I suppose. Maybe they’re backing off of the communal punishment idea.

This morning we had to carry around a heavy ball. The ball wasn’t very big, but mine weighed 15 pounds. We ran to our workout area holding the balls over our heads. That gets old fast, trust me. When we arrived at a lovely spot by the water our instructor, Kari (she’s kick butt and I really like her) told us that today would be a high intensity cardio day. Translated that means, “You’ll be dead by the time we’re done.”

And I was.

The work out, as best I can recall, went like this…

Hold ball and jump.

Jump side to side.

Now run in place with knees high…hold that ball up!

Awesome, okay now go take a run.

So we ran and came back and had to go right into pushups using the ball

One hand on the ball, then switch it.

And so it went. That was the pattern…cardio work-out with heavy ball, run, push-ups…cardio work-out with heavy ball, run, push-ups over and over again.

“OKAY YOU’RE THROUGH!” Yells Kari

But it’s a lie. She only means we’re through with the day’s special program. At this point we line up…hold our balls (stop laughing those of you immature enough to laugh) and start running and then alternately side shuffling (I hate this) to a different grassy area where we do our core exercises.

Core Exercises = fifty jillion sit ups.

Then we stretch and THEN we’re finished.

Tomorrow morning is another wonderful day. I can’t wait to see what they do to me.

No comments: