Friday, June 27, 2008

A Hectic WOO HOO

I have just submitted the invoice for my company's second job. The contractor was happy with our work, his main office had all the papers they needed from me to pay me AND...they have asked us to bid on another job, so WOO HOO. (hence the title of this entry)


Oops, I forgot our Hardwood Centerfold of the day. Behold the Medallion.






Nice, huh? These are great for making a statement either in an entry way or a large room that will have a large open area. Of course they come in various sizes and designs. This is a pretty standard design. They can get fairly intricate. Hang on...let me go find something else for you to admire.



How do you like that? That would be a custom job, but there are pre-made medallions you can have installed.

Okay...hectic...this new biz is turning into a full time job!
I received a notice from the state tax commission last weekend telling me that my right to do business as a corporation in Oklahoma has been revoked because they didn't get my franchise tax report.

Um, I paid my accountants good money to file that report, so I called them. They swear that a new filing system enacted by the commission is to blame because they sent in the forms. I know they filled out the forms because I signed them.

Okay...fast forward to today. I'm at my regular job and have nothing to do, so I decided to take my lunch break and go check out the job we just finished for the contractor. I couldn't get into the house, so I peeked through windows and called the client to make sure he was happy with our work. He was and said he wanted us to bid on another project. WOO HOO!!!

Since he was happy, I told him I would run an invoice over to his company's office, so I left the property and drove to their offices. While enroute my accountant called and told me he had new papers for me to sign for the tax commission. I told him I'd be there in 30 minutes. So I dropped off the invoice at the contractors, and then drove even further across town to sign the papers. (I'm keeping track of mileage)

Turns out they wanted ME to send the papers to the tax commission myself *humpf* and advised me to send it certified mail AND I had to attach a check for 15 smackaroos to pay the reinstatement fee. Talk about total B.S.! But the letter my young accountant attached to the new papers DID outline a strong case that it is the Tax Commission's mistake and not anyone elses, so...I decided not to ask said young man to pay the reinstatement fee. I can take that up with the state. And I will. You can't even get through to talk to someone in the commission office. They have a recording that constantly tells you their call load is high and advises you to "call back later". *humpf again*

Determined to get this taken care of, I drove home to get my business checks, then I drove to the post office and mailed that sucker off to the bleeping Tax Commission certified mail. TAKE THAT!

And then...finally...I drove back to work. I was exhausted...so many errands to run just to do biz in my beloved OKC. I had no idea the Tax Commission was so determined to put entrepreneurs out of business.

I'm going to call them about that 15 dollars too...that is, if I can ever get through.

Have a great weekend and DO consider a medallion or design in your floor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! so much detail..paperwork, etc..
that's why I could never run my own business! I can't keep up with all that!! I'm so in awe of you, being able to do all that AND a full-time job, AND a family!!(and everything else!)

and those floors are beautiful!! are those some y'all have done, or just want to do?
xoxoxo
~Robin

dragonflies on lamp posts said...

Hey honey, I just wanted you to know that I am here too - I will come back and check all in on you.

Lopez said...

This is great that your new business is doing well...let's keep that up...as to the whole accountant thing...this isn't the first problem you've had with him, personally, even if he has proof it 'wasn't his fault'...so...um...i'm thinking maybe it's time to go hunting for a new guy...